Oncoming

Posted: June 4, 2015 in Fiction
Tags: , , , ,

He must have seen the fury in her eyes as she sprung up off her seat on the couch because he took a few steps backwards.

Instead of raising her hand to strike him or throw something, however, she moved quickly toward the door, where she grabbed the keys off the peg &, without saying a word, disappeared out the front door into the night.

oncoming

Moments later, speeding down the windy, two-lane rural street, she blinked tears from her vision, remembering the words that had stung her heart & her pride so fiercely.

THAT’S what hurts,Β she thought,Β my pride.

Feeling quite the fool, trying to gather herself, she took a breath & wiped the tears from her face just in time to see the headlight beams coming toward her.

Too late to jerk the car back into her own lane, her last thoughts before impact were a silent plea for forgiveness from the man she left standing in the living room.

This post was written in participation of Six Sentence Stories, whose prompt this week was “beams.” Click here to see what others wrote. (Click here to see my entry from last week, if you missed it, complete with links to others’ entries.)

Advertisements
Comments
  1. innatejames says:

The guilt the man will feel when he finds out what happened to her! I like how your story continues past your words.

Liked by 1 person

2. oldegg says:

This will shatter him as he will see that he drove her to make that hasty decision get away. Very sad and gripping tale.

Liked by 1 person

3. amycake76 says:

Yikes! What a terrifying end to that story!

Liked by 1 person

4. Hello reality check! This is powerful in many ways! Hi^5

Liked by 1 person

5. Kristi says:

What a tragic story!

6. Whoa – terrifying and sad. I always fear that sort of thing. So important to leave the people you love on good terms. You just never know. Well done.

Liked by 1 person

7. plaguedparents says:

I literally felt my heart skip a beat, wow!

Liked by 1 person

8. valj2750 says:

You can really tell a wonderful, wrenching story in six sentences. Very powerful.

Liked by 1 person

9. ivywalker says:

Wow! Hit to the gut! Excellent ! I didnt think of headlight beams! Thanks for linking in!

Liked by 1 person

10. lrconsiderer says:

FRIST!

And whoaaaaaaaaah!!! Totally different kind of beams. Ouch!

I want to know why they were fighting. I hope he forgave her! Wow.

Liked by 1 person

What's on your mind? Don't be shy. Spill it.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s