Smooth Sailing? (A #10Thankful Post)

Posted: May 28, 2015 in Achieving Aspirations, Human Connections
Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

In many ways, this week has flown by. The boost in confidence that came my way towards the end of last week helped me throw some of my self-criticism aside enough to just be a little happier this week. (Thankful #1) This is not to say that The Bitch didn’t make an appearance — she did; she always does. . . BUT, it is to say that I was able to put her in the background instead of at the forefront, which is good. Hopefully, I can keep this up & it’ll be smooth sailing for a bit. . .

Smooth Sailing

As I alluded to in last week’s Ten Things of Thankful post, I did actually follow through & post a bit of fiction for this week’s Two Shoes Tuesday prompt. (Thankful #2) The prompts were “under” or “umbrella” & I chose the former; the post is aptly named, simply, “Under.” & I had a lot of fun writing it! The final product is far from polished, in my opinion, but it was a big deal for me to hit that “Publish” button, so yeah… Plus, I had a completely different ending in mind for it, so, perhaps some of those unused ideas will be extra motivation to make that sort of thing more regular in the coming days or weeks. We shall see.

It is no secret, for the few that frequent my little cyber corner here, that I particularly enjoy the community & inspiration lent by a good blog hop. SO, I was especially thrilled to see this week’s return of one called “Six Sentence Stories.” It was hosted by Josie of Two Shoes in Texas (the same host as Two Shoes Tuesday, which I thoroughly enjoy), but was discontinued, over a year ago, from the looks of things. I caught wind that it was being “reborn” over at Uncharted & that was all the motivation I needed — especially after the boost in confidence from last week. SO, I was thrilled to be able to submit something for that blog hop too! (Thankful #3)

In the past, at some point, I know I mentioned that there are some things from last year that I was just not looking forward to being brought to light again this year. I am a Facebook junkie — which is fine, I think, because it is a good way to stay connected to others right now. There is an app called “On This Day” that shows my posts in past years on this same date. Well, Thursday was the day that the post telling everyone about our miscarriage finally made its way in front of me. I am glad that day has come & gone, because it is just another way to be able to move forward. . . (Thankful #4)

miscarriage FB update

Hopefully that in-your-face reminder won’t be back around again for another year — & maybe there will be more good memories to help drown that one at least a little. With all of that said, of course it still hurts, but it is not quite as raw now. I am starting to be able to look at it as a little more matter-of-fact, rather than having to conjure up all those negative emotions every time it comes to mind. . . We have some optimism things will work out the way they are supposed to — we have fear & pain too, but optimism is my focus right now. (Thankful #5)

Also on Thursday, I was reminded of the day I severely sprained my ankle (on that day three years ago). It was Memorial Day, I believe. I took a step down & missed it, bent my foot backwards & landed on top of it. Horrific pain! I was a smoker back then & was going outside for a cigarette. . . I knew I wouldn’t be able to “get my fix” once I stood up & realized how horrible the damage really was, so I sat there, lit my cigarette, & enjoyed it the best I could. The handsome husband (who was my “handsome man” back then since we weren’t yet married or even thinking about it) knew immediately the injury would require an emergency room visit, but I insisted otherwise. I waited two hours before popping a pill for the pain & another four or so tear-filled, sleepless hours before finally giving in & asking him to take me to the hospital. It was early morning by then.

hospital FB status

I was in so much pain & had waited so long, I could not walk on it any more. He gave me the most adorable look right before saying something like, “Remember, I used to be a firefighter.” Without giving me a chance to respond, he just scooped me up & threw me over his shoulder & man-handled me over to the car. Haha. (I think I still had him take me to breakfast first. Ugh. I hate hospitals!) I definitely fell in love with him a little more that day (Thankful #6) & the several days after — you can’t exactly drive when your left foot/ankle is injured & you drive a 5-speed, ya know? Huh. Not a great thing to happen, but there will still good memories out of it, I guess, huh? 😉

So, on a completely separate note, I popped onto my student center website to verify my registration for classes in the fall, (which I did a couple of months ago, I thought). As it turns out, somehow, during one of my swaps, I mistakenly dropped on the math classes I need for my intended path. Whoops! I am glad I had the urge to check it out! (Thankful #7) It would have royally sucked to have missed taking that class if it filled up. . . All of those types of classes are prerequisites for the next, so it would’ve put me in the position to either be a semester behind or to have to re-evaluate my plan. As it stands, my fall semester will be grueling: an introductory physics, fundamentals of accounting (which I anticipate to be just fine), brief calculus, introductory astronomy, and plane trigonometry. We will see what happens as the beginning of the semester draws closer, but that is the plan for now! I am excited for it.

This coming Wednesday marks four weeks until we get to leave for our visit back to Washington State. (Thankful #8) The handsome husband & I so flippin’ stoked! We miss everyone up there so incredibly much — & I miss the moisture in the air & the greenery & the fact that I don’t feel like I am going to melt away as soon as I leave my air-conditioned house. It is going to be a whirl-wind trip & we are going to be hard-pressed to fit in time with everyone we want to see — & much less, get enough time with everyone we want to see — BUT a speed-visit is better than no visit & we are so grateful to get to head up there. The handsome husband is taking a 12-day stretch off work to do it & we are renting a car & driving up so we can take Muttley with us.

When the time comes to head home from Washington, we will “kidnap” Little RJ & he’ll come spend a month or so with us to finish off the summer. (Thankful #9) Haha. Okay. We’re not kidnapping him, of course! We’ve been planning this for a while with his dad. . . But, when Little RJ was younger, I would say, “I’m going to steal you to go [fill-in-the-blank]” & he thought it was extra exciting, so, yeah. We are taking an extra day or so driving home than traveling to Washington so that we can try to plan a couple extra “fun” stops since we’ll have the kid in tow, so we’ll see how that goes.

Little RJ & Handsome Husband. This is -- hands-down -- my favorite picture of them! It is even on the lock-screen of my phone.

Little RJ & Handsome Husband. This is my absolute  favorite picture of them! It is even on the lock-screen of my phone.

The handsome husband has always been extra careful and attentive towards the boys. He gets that they are a huge part of my world & he knew from the start that we were a packaged deal (even if our “package” is a little different from the “norm”), of course. With that said, I have to say, over the past year or so, I can really see the relationship between the handsome husband & Little RJ start to evolve. There is less uncertainty between the two of them… Little RJ is getting to know the differences between his father & his step-father & the handsome husband is getting his groove in regard to setting his own boundaries & rules in our house, while learning to let some of the smaller things “slide” (or, at least go slightly easier on the consequences of them, anyway 😉 ). They play games on Xbox Live together & talk when I am not even involved — & it has even gotten to the point where the handsome husband is just as (or, frankly, perhaps, MORE SO) excited for Little RJ to come to visit again. They seem to really be enjoying each other’s company & the strain I once saw is so minute now. (Thankful #10) Blended families aren’t supposed to be a walk in the park all the time. I get that. (Boy, do I get that!) But, I am so incredibly proud the handsome husband & Little RJ’s dad & all of us involved for becoming one huge family where Little RJ is concerned. I am so incredibly grateful that Little RJ doesn’t have to know what it is like for all of the parents in his life to be at each other’s throats. . . We might not see eye-to-eye on every single thing, but we remain respectful & we even remain friends & that is not something to take for granted at all.

What are YOU thankful for this week? List your ten things in the comments or let me know on Facebook. If you have a place to link-up, head over to this week’s Ten Things of Thankful to link-up — & if you don’t, go read through what other people are thankful for anyway; you’d be surprised how uplifting it can be. 😉

Advertisements
Comments
  1. Your next semester is going to be busy with all those math classes. I took them all but in a different order, ending with physics. Good luck and do all the homework!! How nice that you are able to take a trip with your boy! I bet that you have so much fun together! Here’s to a safe trip!

• Reta Jayne says:

Yes! I am a bit nervous I might be biting off more than I can chew, but I think it will be fine. I am quite looking forward to the challenge. We pick up our rental car four weeks from tomorrow! I am so excited, I can hardly contain myself! 😉

2. A trip to Washington – how fantastic! What a great list!

3. christine says:

One year ago, I was hobbling around with crutches after tearing my knee apart. It has been brought up many times over the past couple of weeks. It basically overtook our entire year. I did not need photos to remember it. 🙂 I see lots of people putting their time hop photos up. They certainly make the passing of time seem even faster!
    That is a lot of math for one semester! I had a minor in math in college. Love it!
    So glad you are going to get to take a trip to Washington!

• Reta Jayne says:

Yeah. I don’t necessarily need the Facebook reminders for either of those occasions — life happens to remind me enough. . . BUT, it DOES augment just how fast time flies; that’s for sure! 😉 I gave it A LOT of thought before deciding to go that route with math. I need both — one for my business degree; one to prepare for the higher levels of math. SO, rather than try to draw out my schooling by an extra year or two, I decided to try doubling up for a bit. We will see how it goes. . . My saving grace is that my husband is so supportive — enough to let me focus solely on school for a while, which is nice. 😉 YES! WASHINGTON! We both need the visit badly. STOKED!! 🙂

4. I went through most of school thinking I hated math and that I wasn’t good at it. Know why? Someone told me I wasn’t good at it. I believed them and turned it into truth. But when I think back on it, I always actually enjoyed math classes, even if I found them challenging. The sole exception is geometry – didn’t get it. Still don’t. Hated it. To prove the math demon wrong, I opted for statistics in college just to prove a point. As it turns out it was a good thing because grad school brought a requirement of graduate level statistics and research and I was never so glad to have had undergrad statistics. Whew! Anyway, the point is that I quite enjoyed those courses, too, and while math still isn’t my first choice, I no longer believe the demon that told me I was no good at it.
    Your list is terrific – so much good going on here! Your trips and visits sound awesome and you are going to rock your school courses!
    Have a great week!

• Reta Jayne says:

That is so very encouraging, Lisa! I always put an emphasis on my writing, but I’ve never seen a huge future in it, for whatever reason. . . The fact that so many people are turned off by math makes me like it even more. . . So far, I am still in the lower level classes, but a little time invested & I understand it fairly quickly. I am hoping as the classes get harder, this still proves true. I can see such a bright future if it does; there are so many opportunities for people that do not shy away from math, ya know? 😉

5. I keep a journal an it’s interesting to look back and reflect. Even the tough stuff. I know I’ve made it through things and the tough slogging is that forms character. Have a great trip and hope RJ gets to have a nice visit. Wishing you a great week ahead.

• Reta Jayne says:

I think Calculated Chaos IS my journal. . . I blog mostly for me — & for some of the community in the various groups & blog hops I’ve found. SO, now that I am getting into it more, I can look back on some of these posts & have some real “ah ha!” moments, ya know? It is therapeutic, for sure.

6. fangboner1 says:

I am so glad to see you back at TTOT!

7. Blogitudes says:

I love the hops, too. Love all the various themes to write on. All the great participation. Six Sentence Stories sounds really interesting. I’ll definitely be checking it out and I thank you for mentioning it. That’s wonderful news about your upcoming trip and your extended visit with Little RJ. I’m sure you’ll all have a marvelous time. Enjoy! 🙂

• Reta Jayne says:

Yes! Blog hops! I am addicted. 😉 It’s fun to have the different writing prompts AND equally fun to have the sense of community that each provides. I feel I am making new online friends as a result — & for a homebody, that’s a pretty important perk. 😉

8. Kristi says:

Enjoy your time in Washington! I can relate so much to your feelings about the greenery, the moisture, the coolness. . . Every time I’m up there, I just want to relocate from the desert. 🙂

• Reta Jayne says:

Yes!! Washington is definitely home for us. . . BUT, Arizona is home for now. 😉 It’s gotten a bit easier over this last year; I will admit that. Plus, being here gives us some advantages we couldn’t get if we were still in Washington, so, it seems, we’ll stay another year or two. . . 😉

9. Vanessa D. says:

It sounds like you have some tough courses on your plate and that you’re looking forward to the challenge!

10. valj2750 says:

Here’s to smooth sailing for the summer. Enjoy the trip and your time with RJ. I enjoyed reading your posts at the link ups. Can’t wait to see what Ivy and Josie come up with this week. I HATE MATH, as well. Seems like a common thread in this bloggy world.

• Reta Jayne says:

I hope so. 😉 My not-so-secret fear is that this sense of “smooth sailing” will be short lived. . . I need to try to hold onto it for aw hile, though. Maybe these blog hops will help me to do that since I have been enjoying them so much. . . Then lots of time with family & Little RJ before school starts back up. . . Fingers crossed!

11. ivywalker says:

oope what was I thinking Six Sentence Stories! HOOPLA!

12. ivywalker says:

MATH!? I am so envious of people that can do math…
    SO cool that you get to pick up the boy and have time together… mega cool that you get along well with Dad. He and the Handsome Hubs are adorable!

• Reta Jayne says:

I’ve been told that about the math stuffs before. 😉 I have started a bit of tutoring locally as a result. Nothing major, but it paid for my Starbucks habit for a good while. 😉

13. lrconsiderer says:

brain asplodes at the mere thought of all that maths

I’m glad the worst days are over, and SO GLAD that you’re both getting excited about seeing little RJ – that photo is ADORABLE.

And yeah. Hops. I’m VERY glad I came back for the Six Sentence Stories and THANK GOODNESS for it! I love it 😀 Isn’t it fun to be in at the beginning of something? I feel like we get to all build a new community 🙂

• Reta Jayne says:

Haha. Yeah. I am still a bit perplexed that I seem to be enjoying the math stuff so much! I am hoping I haven’t bitten off more than I can chew for next semester, but at least I am excited about potentially drowning. LOL. 😉
      I am glad to have something to look forward to that doesn’t seem terribly far away, ya know? I need that. . . I think more than most, maybe.
      The Six Sentence Stories hop is going to be a ton of fun, I think! Plus, I have a lot less guilt about getting around to everyone else’s because they are so short! LOL. It’s an interesting challenge & I am hoping the next few prompts are equally exciting to do. It’s super fun to be in on it from this new beginning! I think the community is the most fun part, for sure. 🙂

14. dyannedillon says:

How nice that you have a decent relationship with RJ’s dad! I had a preschooler a couple of years ago who had warring parents, and I do mean warring! At one point, I nearly got called into court to testify. So much healthier the way you’re handling it!
    I have the Time Hop app on my phone. Usually, the stories are nice memories, but sometimes, one will hit me in the gut, so I understand what you feel.
    Glad you had pretty smooth sailing this week!

• Reta Jayne says:

I will never understand that kind of conflict between parents. . . There was SOMETHING that drew the two together long enough to MAKE that baby, so why can’t they just do what they need to do to get along for that child’s sake? I don’t get it. I would think, being in YOUR position, in that kind of situation must require a special kind of patience that I am not sure I would have. . .

What's on your mind? Don't be shy. Spill it.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s